Some month ago I was trying to install Hackintosh on my Dell Inspiron 1545. That was iDeneb DVD. I managed to install it in my laptop. But after installing from that DVD, I couldn’t boot into Mac. I was getting “boot error” message. In that time I was using windows 7 and didn’t know how to fix this issue. So my hackintosh exploration stopped.
Some days ago I managed another ISO of iATKOS v7 and burned it for testing for the second time. I found deviato’s tutorial from here and again installed it. While booting from the DVD I was getting some problems like kernel panic, it’s being hanged with some wired message. But again and again I was trying and finally able to see the installation window. Then I moved forward and opened the disk utility from the installation window. I created a 13GB partition for installing mac and formatted the drive in NTFS format before from GParted from my ubuntu 10.04 installation.
From the Mac disk utility I formatted my 13GB NTFS formatted drive in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) file system. Then I moved forward and installed the Mac OS X leopard successfully. After rebooting I got the same “boot error” message like my previous installation. Again I stopped here, I saw in some blogs to install patched grub2. As I don’t use windows in my laptop, I use ubuntu and the version is 10.04 (lucid lynx) and obviously I use grub2. My ubuntu grub was not there because I installed Mac and it removed my grub. So I booted into ubuntu with a flash USB drive (pen drive) and installed grub2 again to boot into my original installed ubuntu. Again rebooted and logged into my installed ubuntu and ran this command (sudo update-grub) to update my grub to see that if it finds the mac partition, it will be great. And I surprised to see that this update found the Mac installation and added an entry to my grub boot loader. I was really amazed at that time.
Again I rebooted and this time I found two entry in my grub: “Mac OS X (32 bit)” and another “Mac OS X(64 bit)”. Although the 64-bit link was not working, I entered into the 32-bit Mac. Some background works were working and debug message message was showing, but i got stuck at a message “still waiting for the rood device”. There was no way to escape from there, so i forcedly rebooted and changed my SATA configuration at the BIOS to “AHCI” mode from “ATA” mode and the trick worked. Then I was able to pass this weird error message and finally saw the welcome message and filled-up my information and voila!!! Got the Mac desktop finally 😀
Now the issue first issue is to connect to internet. I use my nokia 3110c mobile as my EDGE modem. Then I went to “System Preferences => Network” and provided my phones vendor as NOKIA and filled up the APN. Finally it got connected with internet without any problem. 😀
There was no sound and the graphics resolution was not showing correctly. I was getting 1024×768 resolution instead of 1366×768. To get the sound working, you need to install some kernel extension, they are said as kext extension. To install this kind of extensions, there is a utility named “Kext Helper“. I downloaded kext helper from here and the kernel extension from here (original from here). Opened the kext helper and dragged the extension to kext helper. Installed the helper by providing my password and rebooted. Yeaah, got the sound working, great!!! 😀
I installed a kext extension “AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext”. My graphics adaptor is “Intel GM45 HD”. After installing that extension, I lost my graphics after restarting my pc. I found no way to remove that extension manually. I tried from my Ubuntu installation. But the file permission didn’t allow me to delete that extension. I am still searching to get my native resolution.
The next step to do some customization of my brand new Mac OS X 😛
I downloaded and installed firefox, echofon (standalone twitter app for mac), adium (multi-protocol chat client), Coda (code editor), uTorrent (torrent client), a cracked version of TextMate (code editor) from torrent :P, VLC (media player, but failed to play video for graphics problem may be).
As a Bangladeshi and Bangla speaking people, I needed to fix the Bangla font problem as it is showing like a box and chinese character, I installed Solaimanlipi and Rupali font for Mac from ekushey.org. As I use Probhat keyboard for Bangla input, downloaded probhat layout from here.
After installing the font pack from ekushey.org, I still had problem with Bangla font’s. It still showing jibrish character like A-kar, O-kar, I-kar mismatch. Then I found some help from Nasim Vai. He said, “Restart immediately after font installation. this is a stupid bug in the font installer” and he gave me a improved version of SolaimanLipi font specially for Mac. Then I removed Solaimanlipi and Rupali font completely and installed the new font and restarted immediately ;). After restarting everything went fine, no problem with Bangla font at all.
I am steel searching for my graphics resolution problem. I haven’t look for bluetooth and wireless solution yet. Hope to try it soon and will update the post 🙂