There are many plugins available in the WordPress.org plugin directory for the same needs, gallery. I’ve seen the most downloaded NextGEN Gallery, it has lots of feature and very complex. If you need a simple gallery, it’s an overkill. So I wanted to create a new one, that would be very simple. Then I found Rocket Galleries via WP Tavern. It’s very simple and what I wanted, mostly!
As I found the features I was looking for in rocket gallery, but it felt short. The plugin is nicely built and I liked the way it’s written, the codes! But it didn’t do something right:
- Taking advantage of Custom Post Type
- It used a custom table for galleries that I didn’t wanted.
- It didn’t have a github repo, so I couldn’t contribute.
- I saw some features that I would need, but no way to integrate there without forking.
- Lastly, I want to use things that acts the way I want. If none does, I create them!
So weGallery born
I needed a gallery for a next venture I am working on. It’ll be public next month I hope, my first SaaS project. So as rocket gallery felt short, I jumped into the code and weGallery was born. It’s always fun to create new things and I hope to integrate more features into it. But if you are like me, wanted a gallery plugin, please feel free to add new features into the plugin.